Thursday, January 14, 2010

So I am finally able to log on to my blog, and why it has taken me twenty years to keep a journal I do not know. Perhaps it is the act of committing the words to paper. The definitive acknowledgement that the people, the places, the love, joy, pain, and sorrow were and are real. That what has passed will not change, and that time will not wait for you even if you're stuck dwelling on the past.

Of course this has been much easier said than done for me. I know that after my dear friend Stephen lost his life to leukemia this summer, I spent much of last semester stuck dwelling on the past- grappling with feelings of sadness, then anger, and even bitter resentment. Yes, it is difficult to committ these words to paper, to make such an open and honest acknowledgement that this was and will always be a part of my life.

After an outpouring of love and support from my family and friends, I found myself in a good place- in a place of peace and strength. Stephen was the first person I told about my plans for Ghana, and he was the first person to stand by side and say, go kick some butt! I know he would be proud of me.

And so here I am in Ghana, in a place of peace and strength. Even in the humidity and heat, I hae not stopped smiling and I have hardly sat down since I have arrived.

I am grateful to everyone who has given me a pat on the back, written me a comforting email, or even bought me immodium and baby wipes. It is with your support that I feel so loved and so strong thousands of miles away in Africa.

Now those are words worth committing to paper.



With so much love and gratitude
Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment