Saturday, January 16, 2010

I opened facebook this week and to my amusement, had a record breaking 67 new notifications! Most of you have sent messages and comments asking about the food, weather, my daily activities, and all that jazz. Goodness where to begin.

Well from the very first day we arrived (more specifically, just moments after 27 hours of flying) I took part in an African dance class, and have had one almost everyday for the past two weeks. There is a great deal of pelvis thrusting, shimmying, and shaking, and I LOVE it! I am so in my element in the dance studio and I think I'll be spending a great deal of time there. My teacher is a very old man with a wooden staff of sorts and I think his name is Osu, although he speaks with such a heavy and beautiful accent it's hard to catch. He tells us that dance is about unity and acceptance- when we touch one another we are letting someone into our personal space and this requires mutual trust and respect. We are unified as brothers and sisters. He repeats this mantra everyday. I think Osu could single handedly create world peace.

The rest of my days are jam packed, Ghanaian style. This means that we have fifty things planned and we do all of them, only on an average of two hours behind the scheduled time. This is quite the paradox- Ghana's markets are lively and bustling and everyone seems to be on some kind of mission, yet with no real scheduled destination. It does not matter how long it takes you to get from point A to point B, or even what you do in between point A and point B, as long as you get there... eventually. It really is a miracle that anything gets done, but I have stopped worrying about the time or the schedule and am learning to appreciate the journey.

ciao for now, more tomorrow <3 m

No comments:

Post a Comment